2022 ISU Land Value Survey Results
The 2022 Iowa State Land Value Survey shows the average value of an acre of farmland jumped 17%, or $1,660, to $11,411 per acre. The nominal value of an acre of farmland is again higher this year than at any point since Iowa State University began surveying values in 1941. When adjusting for inflation, the 2022 average value surpasses the previous inflation-adjusted record value set in 2013 for the first time.
While inflation was a major factor that drove the increase last year, it did not play as much of a factor as commodity prices, limited land supply, and low interest rates through summer 2022 did this year.
If you have questions or comments about the 2022 survey, please contact Dr. Wendong Zhang at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 515-294-2536.
2022 Land Value Survey News Conference
The results of the 2022 land value survey were announced by Dr. Zhang at a news conference on Tuesday, December 13. The full 60 minute-long news conference video is at the bottom of this page. Additional materials from the news conference are available below.
Three minute highlights of the 2022 survey results
2022 Land Value Survey Resources
- Iowa Land Value Survey Overview (pdf)
This briefing paper includes background information on the Iowa land value survey, including historic information, an analysis of highest/lowest land values and changes from last year’s survey.
- Iowa Land Value Survey News Release (pdf)
The full news release made available on December 13. Includes an analysis of survey information by Dr. Zhang.
- Iowa Land Value Survey Brochure
- 2022 and 2021 Iowa Average Land Values, by County - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values 2021 to 2022 - [download]
- 2022 Iowa Land Values by Crop Reporting District - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values, 2021 to 2022 (ranking) - [download]
- 2022 Iowa Land Values (dollar ranking) - [download]
- Comparative Iowa Land Values table with maps(pdf)
- Iowa Land Values table by District and Land Quality (pdf)
- Slide show (pdf)
The complete slide show presented by Dr. Zhang at the 2022 conference.
- 2022 Media Coverage