2021 ISU Land Value Survey Results
The 2021 ISU Land Value Survey shows the average value of an acre of Iowa farmland skyrocketed 29 percent over the past 12 months to $9,751/acre as of November 1, 2021. The nominal value of an acre of farmland is now higher than at any point since Iowa State University began surveying values in 1941, and is 12 percent higher than the previous peak in 2013; although the current value in inflation-adjusted terms are still lower than that for 2012 and 2013.
The surge is buoyed by substantially higher commodity prices, low interest rates, stronger-than-expected crop yields, robust federal ad hoc payments, and limited land supply despite increase in sales activity.
2021 Land Value Survey News Conference
The results of the 2021 land value survey were announced by Dr. Zhang at a news conference on Tuesday, December 14. The full 60 minute-long news conference video is at the bottom of this page. Additional materials from the news conference are available below.
Three minute highlights of the 2021 survey results
2021 Land Value Survey Resources
- Iowa Land Value Survey Overview (pdf)
This briefing paper includes background information on the Iowa land value survey, including historic information, an analysis of highest/lowest land values and changes from last year’s survey.
- Iowa Land Value Survey News Release (pdf)
The full news release made available on December 14. Includes an analysis of survey information by Dr. Zhang.
- Iowa Land Value Survey Brochure
- 2021 and 2020 Iowa Average Land Values, by County - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values 2020 to 2021 - [download]
- 2021 Iowa Land Values by Crop Reporting District - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values, 2020 to 2021 (ranking) - [download]
- 2021 Iowa Land Values (dollar ranking) - [download]
- Comparative Iowa Land Values table with maps (pdf)
- Iowa Land Values table by District and Land Quality (pdf)
- Slide show (pdf)
The complete slide show presented by Dr. Zhang at the 2021 conference.
- 2021 Media Coverage