2020 ISU Land Value Survey Results
The 2020 ISU Land Value Survey shows a 1.7% increase in average Iowa farmland values from November 2019 to November 2020. The average statewide value of an acre of farmland is now estimated at $7,559. This modest rise is the third increase in Iowa farmland values over the past six years, and a second consecutive rise. The 2020 land value still represents a 13% decline from the 2013 peak in nominal land values, or a 22% drop in inflation-adjusted values.
The recent increase is largely attributable to record-level federal ad hoc payments, drastic cuts in interest rates by the Federal Reserve, recent surges in agricultural exports and commodity prices, and limited land supply.
2020 Land Value Survey News Conference
The results of the 2020 land value survey were announced by Dr. Zhang at a news conference on Tuesday, December 15. The full 60 minute-long news conference video is at the bottom of this page. Additional materials from the news conference are available below.
Three minute highlights of the 2020 survey results
2020 Land Value Survey Resources
- Iowa Land Value Survey Overview (pdf)
This briefing paper includes background information on the Iowa land value survey, including historic information, an analysis of highest/lowest land values and changes from last year’s survey.
- Iowa Land Value Survey News Release (pdf)
The full news release made available on December 15. Includes an analysis of survey information by Dr. Zhang.
- Iowa Land Value Survey Brochure
- 2020 and 2019 Iowa Average Land Values, by County - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values 2019 to 2020 - [download]
- 2020 Iowa Land Values by Crop Reporting District - [download]
- Percentage Change in Iowa Land Values, 2019 to 2020 (ranking) - [download]
- 2020 Iowa Land Values (dollar ranking) - [download]
- Comparative Iowa Land Values table with maps (pdf)
- Iowa Land Values table by District and Land Quality (pdf)
- Slide show (pdf)
The complete slide show presented by Dr. Zhang at the 2020 conference.
- 2020 Media Coverage