Watersheds: Sny Magill Creek and Bloody Run Creek Watersheds
The Sny Magill Creek (91.3 km2) and Bloody Run Creek (98 km2) watersheds are located adjacent to each other in Clayton County, Iowa in the Paleozoic Plateau ecoregion. Both watersheds are characterized by Karst features (caves, sinkholes, and springs) and feature coldwater streams that support put-and-take trout fishing. Extensive implementation of terraces and other conservation practices have been carried out in both watersheds to improve stream water quality, part of which occurred within a paired watershed study.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service. Economics and Water Quality Effects of Multiple Conservation Practices in Three Midwest Watersheds. 2005-2008 (with C.L. Kling, M. Helmers, T. Isenhart, W. Simpkins, K. Schilling, and M. Al-Kaisi), $645,000.
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Modeling of the Sny Magill Watershed. 2000-2001 (with C.L. Kling and A. Saleh), $22,931.
- Gassman, P.W., J.A. Tisl, E.A. Palas, C.L. Fields, T.M. Isenhart, M.J. Helmers, C.F. Wolter, K. Schilling, and L.S. Seigley. 2010. Conservation practice establishment in two northeast Iowa watersheds: Strategies, water quality implications, and lessons learned. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 65(6): 381-392. doi: 10.2489/jswc.65.6.381.
- Schilling, K.E., M.D. Tomer, P.W. Gassman, C.L. Kling, T.M. Isenhart, T.B. Moorman, W.W. Simpkins, and C.F. Wolter. 2007. A tale of three watersheds: Non-point source pollution and conservation practices across Iowa. CHOICES: The Magazine of Food, Farm, and Resource Issues. American Agricultural Economics Association. 22(2): 87-95.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Saleh, A., P.W. Gassman, L.S. Seigley, and E. Palas. 2001. Application of ArcView soil and water assessment tool (AVSWAT) model for the Sny Magill Creek Watershed in northeast Iowa. Presented at the 5th International Conference; Diffuse/Nonpoint Pollution and Watershed Management, June 10-15, Marquette Univ., Milwaukee, WI. International Water Association, London, UK.
- Gassman, P., J. Herring, T. Isenhart, S. Sengupta, M. Jha, J. Tisl, E. Palas, C. Fields, T. Campbell, and L. Seigley. 2006. Simulation of conservation practice adoption and water quality impacts in an Iowa CEAP watershed with SWAT. In: Managing agricultural landscapes for environmental quality, Strengthening the Science Base: Workshop Program & Abstract Book, pp. 60 (abstract). Oct. 11-13, Kansas City, MO. Soil and Water Conservation Society, Ankeny, IA.
- Kling, C., P. Gassman, M. Helmers, T. Isenhart, W. Simpkins, M. Al-Kaisi, M. Tomer, M. Burkart, T. Moorman, M. Jha, and S. Secchi. 2006. Economic and water quality effects of multiple conservation practices in three Midwest watersheds. In: Proceedings of the 2006 USDA-CSREES National Water Quality Conference: Research, Extension and Education for Water Quantity and Quality, Feb. 5-9, San Antonio, TX (abstract: http://www.usawaterquality.org/conferences/2006/AgBMP.html).
- Gassman, P.W., T.M. Isenhart, M. Jha, S. Secchi and J.M. Herring. 2007. Simulation of BMP water quality impacts for a watershed in northeast Iowa. In: Proceedings of the 2007 USDA-CSREES National Water Quality Conference: Research, Extension and Education for Water Quality and Quantity, Jan. 28-Feb. 1, Savannah, GA (abstract: http://www.usawaterquality.org/conferences/2007/AgBMP.html).
- Gassman, P., T.M. Isenhart, J.P. Herring, C.L. Fields, and L.S. Seigley. 2006. Conservation Practice Adoption and Water Quality Impacts in Two Northeast Iowa CEAP Watersheds. Presented at the 2006 USDA-CSREES National Water Quality Conference: Research, Extension and Education for Water Quantity and Quality, Feb. 5-9, San Antonio, TX (abstract: http://www.usawaterquality.org/conferences/2006/AgBMP.html).
- Saleh, A., P.W. Gassman, and C.L. Kling. 2002 (Revised). Sny Magill watershed modeling project: Final report. Staff Report 01-SR 95. CARD, Iowa State Univ., Ames, IA.