The Shifting Patterns of Agricultural Production and Productivity Worldwide
Edited by Julian M. Alston, Bruce A. Babcock, and Philip G. Pardey
In this book we assemble a range of evidence from a range of sources with a view to developing an improved understanding of recent trends in agricultural productivity around the world. The fundamental purpose is to better understand the nature of the long-term growth in the supply of food and its principal determinants. We pursue this purpose from two perspectives. One is from a general interest in the world food situation in the long run. The other is from an interest in the implications of U.S. and global productivity patterns for U.S. agriculture.
- Download the Book
- Chapter 1. Introduction and Overview (Julian M. Alston, Bruce A. Babcock, and Philip G. Pardey)
- PART 1: INTERNATIONAL EVIDENCE AND INTERPRETATION
- Chapter 2. The Changing Landscape of Global Agriculture (Jason M. Beddow, Philip G. Pardey, Jawoo Koo, and Stanley Wood)
- Chapter 3. Global Patterns of Crop Yields and Other Partial Productivity Measures and Prices (Julian M. Alston, Jason M. Beddow, and Philip G. Pardey)
- Chapter 4. Total Factor Productivity in the Global Agricultural Economy: Evidence from FAO Data (Keith O. Fuglie)
- PART 2: COUNTRY-SPECIFIC EVIDENCE
- Chapter 5. Agricultural Productivity Growth in Australia and New Zealand (John Denis Mullen)
- Chapter 6. The Shifting Patterns of Agricultural Production and Productivity in Canada (Terrence S. Veeman and Richard Gray)
- Chapter 7. Agricultural Productivity in the United Kingdom (Jenifer Piesse and Colin Thirtle)
- Chapter 8. Shifting Patterns of Agricultural Production and Productivity in the United States (Julian M. Alston, Matthew A. Andersen, Jennifer S. James, and Philip G. Pardey)
- Chapter 9. Agricultural Productivity in China (Songqing Jin, Jikun Huang, and Scott Rozelle)
- Chapter 10. Shifting Patterns of Agricultural Production and Productivity in the Former Soviet Union and Central and Eastern Europe (Johan F.M. Swinnen, Kristine Van Herck, and Liesbet Vranken)
- Chapter 11. The Changing Pattern and Sources of Agricultural Growth in India (Alka Singh and Suresh Pal)
- Chapter 12. Indonesia: From Food Security to Market-Led Agricultural Growth (Keith O. Fuglie)
- Chapter 13. South African Agricultural Production and Productivity Patterns (Frikkie Liebenberg and Philip G. Pardey)
- Chapter 14. The Agricultural Sector in Argentina: Major Trends and Recent Developments (Sergio H. Lence)
- Chapter 15. Shifting Patterns of Global Agricultural Productivity: Synthesis and Conclusion (Julian M. Alston, Bruce A. Babcock, and Philip G. Pardey)
About the Editors
Julian M. Alston is Professor, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, and Director, Robert Mondavi Institute Center for Wine Economics, University of California, Davis.
Bruce A. Babcock is Professor, Department of Economics, and Director, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Iowa State University.
Philip G. Pardey is Professor, Department of Applied Economics, and Director, International Science and Technology Practice and Policy (InSTePP) center, University of Minnesota.